If you like me you’ve been out to eat a restaurant before.
Before we get any deeper. I want to take a few moments to say respect to the vegan restaurants out there as they become more popular and give us other options to choose from. As well as to the restaurants that have true vegan options and not just fries and beer.
Movin on…there was a time that sliders was the new thing and pretty popular. They’re like mini-burgers, for those who never had one. This was partially inspired by a sweet potato burger I had a a restaurant but there was one real problem with it I didn’t like.
The burger was mushy. For some people, that might be ya thang. You like a mushy burger I guess. That ain’t it for me. I like when things stay together on my burger. The burger was still good, I just prefer a different type of texture so I did what I always do
You guessed it. Decided to make my own.
So with that being said, I’m gonna say that this recipe is actually pretty easy. You can definitely make a large batch of these with only a few sweet potatoes and create an appetizer for your guests if you ever decided to use these when you host a function.
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 4 green onions (chopped)
- 1/2 onion (sliced)
- Oil for frying (I used peanut oil – can use oil of choice)
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- Sea salt
- Cayenne pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Optional toppings: tomato, avocado, lettuce/kale, vegan cheese, BBQ sauce, etc.
- Take 1/4 cup of flax seeds and put them in a small bowl and cover with water. Let sit for about 15 minutes until they thicken.
- While that flax seeds sit, peel the sweet potato and grate it into a bowl.
- Chop the green onions and add them to the bowl with the grated sweet potato.
- Add the flax seed mixture, flour, and seasonings to the sweet potato and green onions.
- Add oil to frying pan and heat to medium heat.
- Form the sweet potato mix into a patties and add to frying pan. Let cook until golden brown and then flip to ensure both sides are done.
- While frying the sliders, slice the onion and add to small frying pan.
- Add avocado oil to frying pan and heat onions while adding, salt, pepper, smoked, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Let onions cook until they turn golden brown.
- Remove sliders and onions once they are finished cooking and top with toppings of choice.
- Eat that shxt!