One way to learn new things is to read books.
In a book I was reading at the time it was going in depth about the benefits of different food groups and their nutritional values.
One of the sections was talking about antioxidants and how berries have the highest concentration of antioxidants. Now me, I already like fruit, the only thing is that I don’t buy berries often because they tend to be the most expensive out of all fruit. You get these small cartons of berries for like $6. That shxt ain’t cheap.
But you know, on the never-ending journey of health you gotta do what you gotta do. So I decided I’m gonna find some different ways to eat more berries. And this ended up bein my first attempt at it.
My mom used to make cream of wheat, which I guess is oatmeal for black people because that’s all I remember fr. So I got memories of eating that and always adding syrup to make it taste better. But we’re tryna be more on the healthy side so what better way than to pack the bowl full of antioxidants.
Antioxidants are compounds that inhibit oxidation. Oxidation is a chemical reaction that can produce free radicals, thereby leading to chain reactions that may damage the cells of organismshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioxidant
That’s the brief explanation on them and why they’re important. So just remember that next time you eat some berries, like you would in a bowl like this.
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk (or plant-based milk)
- 1/4 cup agave or maple syrup
- Peanut butter (optional)
- Add almond milk to a pot and heat up until it comes to a boil.
- Once almond is boil lower to medium heat and add the oatmeal.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes until oatmeal gets thick, then add agave or maple syrup.
- Add in peanut butter (optional), cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Serve in bowl and add top with berries, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Eat that shxt!