Sometimes inspiration hits me like a flood, and other times it feels drier than ashy skin.
This was probably one of those times were I was just in a zone of inspiration. By now, y’all know salads are not a normal thing for me to eat. I usually make things that have a lot more variety to em so I can get away from the “salad only” stigma. But at the same time, salads aren’t all that bad either.
For me, I feel like a salad is the easiest way to eat a lot of fresh ingredients and get some of them recommended servings of fruits and vegetables. One thing I also tried to get away from is using dressing.
One of the issues with salads is that you can ruin a lot of the nutritional value by just adding a whole lotta dressing, basically drenching the whole shxt in added sugar and fat. That ain’t what you wanna do.
But I found out an easy way to bypass always using dressing but not wanting to feel like the salad is too dry. This is just my personal favorite but there’s other things you can do.
I started using fresh squeezed lemon juice and just sprinkling it over the salad. It keeps everything from being dry and adds a little bit of freshness to the taste.
You can use other things like olive oil or avocado oil. I personally feel like they can be a bit too heavy for the salad for me. Lemon juice is light and you don’t have to put a lot on so you don’t overdo it.
Do what you want tho. I’m just tossin out ideas. At the end of the day you want it to be a taste you enjoy ya feel me.
- 1 bunch of Kale
- 1 apple cut into chunks
- 2-3 strawberries
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 1/4 cup of blueberries
- 1 Tomatoes or handful of cherry tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 Teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 a lemon
- Wash, cut and dry the kale, apple, strawberries and tomatoes.
- While this is happening, in a small pan, add the coconut oil, sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts.
- Lightly cook the walnuts until the begin to a blacken slightly and try to develop a bit of a crust to them.
- Wash and dry the blueberries.
- Toss the kale, apples, strawberries, tomatoes, and blueberries in a bowl.
- Add a serving amount of the salad to a smaller bowl and spritz the half lemon onto the salad.
- Top with the walnuts.
- Eat that shxt!