You probably read this at first tryin to figure out what exactly a fritter is. Guess what…
I don’t know either lmaoo. I really don’t know.
I’d have to google it. The only time I ever heard fritter was conch fritter (shoutout all my Bahamian breddrin — 242 — from East to West End YKHTWS) and apple fritters. But I real deal have no idea.
Good thing for us is that the only important thing is the taste. Ain’t no need to know the specifications, semantics, and superfluous specifics. We finna keep it succinct unlike that last sentence.
Although these are made out of zucchini you really can’t taste it in there. Which could be a positive or negative depending on how much you enjoy the taste of zucchini. Make sure that you add the flaxseed when making the patty (details included in the instructions below). I tend to find that when I make any veggie patty variation, flaxseed has become invaluable as a binding agent to keep it from falling apart. Ain’t too much more disappointing than a crumbling patty (or fritter).
- 3 and 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 scallions
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Add water to the 1/4 cup of flaxseeds. Make sure the water covers the flaxseeds because they will expand.
- Grate the zucchini and then add it to a mixing bowl. Sprinkle over the salt and mix in. Then leave it for 10 minutes. The salt extracts water through osmosis. Squeeze the zucchini and transfer contents to new bowl.
- In the new bowl, add the flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, scallions and flaxseeds and mix together. It will be very crumbly.*
- Add in the water to and mix until you have smooth consistency.
- Add one tablespoon of avocado oil to a frying pan and let it get hot. Use about 1/4 cup of batter for each fritter. Make into a ball like a patty then use your spatula to press it down from the top and flatten.
- Let it cook on both sides until they are browned. You can put them on a rack in the oven to keep warm.
- Figure out how you want to serve them.
- Eat that shxt!
This recipe was adapted from here.