“Don’t vegans only eat salad.”
“Salad is boring. I need some variety.”
“What else can vegans eat besides salad.”
Yeah. Vegans do eat salad. Different kinds of salads. But this. This is a salad by name only. There ain’t any lettuce, tomatoes, or cucumbers in this salad. To be honest, I probably eat “salad” less than people who eat meat.
Anyways…y’all already know by now. This is THE flavor combo. No dish can go wrong when it’s sweet and spicy. You can find that in Vegalations 17:38.
The secret to this dish is something that was imparted to me by one of my close friends. They told me that I should try cooking the curry first, this allows for more flavor to be released. The difference is definitely noticeable.
Sweetness is found in adding your choice of either maple syrup or agave to round out the flavor. And the garnish brings everything together. This salad can be served either cold or warm (I personally prefer warm). Try it out and thank me later.
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric*
- 1 teaspoon curry powder*
- ½ teaspoon salt*
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper*
- 1 cup uncooked white quinoa
- ½ cup French green lentils (or black lentils)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 6 green onions, ends removed and diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, large stems removed and chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, large stems removed and chopped
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup dried mixed berries or dried cranberries
- 1 juicy lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon maple or agave syrup
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. And add the curry powder. Let it simmer until fragrant, then add turmeric and repeat process.
- Add red onion, salt and pepper and saute for a few minutes until onions are soft and start to turn translucent.
- Add the quinoa, lentils and vegetable broth and stir until well combined. Bring to a boil.
- Place the lid on top and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Once all the liquid is absorbed, turn the burner off and stir in the green onions, cilantro, parsley, almonds, dried berries, lime juice, and maple syrup. Adjust seasonings to your desire.
- Eat that shxt!
*–remember this means seasonings to taste
This recipe was adapted from here.
[…] is a basic salad and quick. This is probably the type of salad every non-vegan assumes all vegan/plant-based individuals eat. This is the epitome of […]